Thursday, December 31, 2009

Penny Redo, First Edition

Happy Monday, readers! I finished a penny redecorating project this weekend with this small, army-green metal drawer chest that I got for free from my grandpa's garage.

Here's a before picture, after pulling out the drawers to scrub all the grime off --

Chest as found

After washing & drying, I measured and cut contact paper, then removed the sticky backing and applied. It was pretty difficult to keep air bubbles out -- you have to go very slowly and keep smoothing with your fingers. I tried using a putty knife, but it was too rough on the paper. I left about a 1/2" border around the edges of the bottom and back to keep the paper from peeling.

The only cost for this was a $5.99 roll of shelf paper, which I chose because of its sticky backing. I used a fraction of the roll, and will save the rest for another project.

While talking about the project with my grandpa, he told me that the metal chest had originally come from my great-grandfather's newspaper office, and then been used in my grandpa's dental office. I wrote the story on a label, and then placed it on the inside of the drawer.


I think that this had been used by my grandparents for photo storage at some point, too. I found the negative for a baby picture of me and my mom behind the drawers!


The chest is going on my desk to help organize things like eBay delivery confirmation slips. What a pretty way to organize!

No comments:

Post a Comment